Top Ten Tuesday: Freebie - Ten Books by Asian Authors

 

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Artsy Reader Girl.
 
This week's theme: It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've done a TTT. I am so excited to contribute to the community again and check out others' posts. This week was a Freebie theme so I decided to do my post on ten books by Asian Authors because REPRESENTATION MATTERS. I decided to split up the category into five books I've read and five books I want to read and included descriptions + links to their Goodreads. I tried to avoid the big most famous books with adaptations and etc. Please enjoy!
 

  1. The Last Rose of Shanghai by Weina Dai Randel
    Why: You can read my review here. This is definitely one of my all time favorite books.
  2. Prairie Ostrich by Tamai Kobayashi
    Why: I had to read this book for school to study racism, identity, death, and homophobia. It is a short book yet SO POWERFUL. The book is written from the limited perspective of eight-year-old "Egg" watching her family grieve after the death of her older brother. Her parents have shut-down and secluded themselves in grief so the only one Egg can turn to is Kathy, her older sister who reads stories to Egg at night but edits the ending to make them happier. I wrote an entire essay on this book and I can say so much more but it is SO overlooked and such a good book.
  3. Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
    Why: I first got this book from summer reading back in 2005 during the Summer Reading Program at the library. It has been one of my comfort books that I return to often about hope and "Kira-kira", which means glittering. A coming of age story that I believe is a classic.
  4. The Memory Police by Yōko Ogawa, Stephen Snyder (Translator), Markus Juslin (Translator)
    Why: SUCH A UNIQUE PREMISE. On an unnamed island, objects disappear from the habitants' memory at night by the Memory Police. First they start off simple: flowers, ribbons, birds.. but then they get serious as those who have the power to remember start disappearing. A young woman, whose mother was taken away when she was young, decides to help her friend by hiding him in a small hidden cubby in her home when she learns of his powers. This is a beautiful book that describes the smell of roses when you have lost the memory and idea of what a rose is. It is a very unique, gentle apocalypse book that talks about trauma, loss, and, of course, the beauty of memories and words.
  5. Please Look After Mom by Shin Kyung-sook, Chi-Young Kim (Translator)
    Why: I read this book on the plane and I could NOT put it down despite how motion sick I was getting. It's a story about a mother's love and the sacrifices she makes for her family that just makes you want to cry and hug your mom. It dives into the memories of Mom's children after she goes missing and how they come to face the real depth of the lessons she taught them growing up when it was too late. There is a lot Korean culture and the importance of family in this book which I appreciated.
  1. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He
    Why: I'm not gonna lie I first bought this book because of the cover which is BEAUTIFUL. But I am so excited to read it because, and I quote, my cousin said that this book "revived" her. I can't wait to read this Chinese-inspired fantasy book.
  2. She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan
    Why:  THIS IS GIVING ME MULAN VIIIIIBES. I'm so excited for this award nominated book.
  3. You've Reached Sam by Dustin Thao
    Why: I've been putting off this book for the night I really want to CRY MY EYES OUT. The story is about Julie and her recently deceased boyfriend. After his funeral, she calls his phone to hear his voice and HE PICKS UP. THIS BOOK I ASSUME GOES OVER THEIR LAST LONG CONVERSATION. I'M TEARING UP THINKING ABOUT IT.
  4. The Serpent's Secret by Sayantani DasGupta
    Why: I love love love middle grade books and am super excited for this indian-inspired mythology/fantasy book about KIRANMALA: INTERDIMENSIONAL DEMON SLAYER.
  5. Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
    Why:  Late to the party but I hear LOTS about this series and can't wait to dive into it.
Questions: What's your favorite book by a POC author?

Warm regards,
Diana Banana

28 Comments

  1. The Memory Police sounds fantastic. I love that premise. Awesome list- all of these sound fabulous- but that one I want to definitely give a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! It is a must rad. Something about Japanese Literature that is translated is subtle and beautiful. I'm a big fan

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I've read KIRA-KIRA, but that's it. THE LAST ROSE OF SHANGHAI and PLEASE LOOK AFTER MOM both sound like books I would like Thanks for the heads-up.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful list! I'm writing these down. The only addition I can think of right off the top of my head is Jen Frederick's Heart & Seoul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def adding that onto my to-read list. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I'm really intrigued by The Memory Police, I must check it out :D Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/10-middle-grade-fantasy-books-set-in-winter-and-christmas-book-recommendations/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool list—these all look great. Well, except for You’ve Reached Sam, which sounds heartbreaking. 😭

    My freebie is here: https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/12/07/ttt-ten-books-i-feel-like-everyone-has-read-but-me/

    Happy TTT!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT. I can't imagine my last phone call with a loved one. I'm tearing up thinking about it now LOL

      Delete
  6. Descendant of the Crane sounds interesting! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I loved Girls of Paper and Fire though I still need to continue the series. I want to read You've Reached Sam, but I also don't want to cry, so I'm a little stuck there haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. I need the right mindset to cry my eyes out before I read haha

      Delete
  8. Great list and topic for today. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/top-ten-tuesday-free-little-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got She Who Became the Sun via a subscription box and it's a book I've heard so many good things about. Hope you get to read it soon!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh this makes me more excited to read it! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. You've Reached Sam is also high on my want-to-read list! And I thought Serpent's Secret was a fun MG read.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading this a lot so many people want to read You've Reached Sam but we are NOT ready to cry our eyes out haha

      Delete
  11. Oooh! This is a really good list! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these, but I may have to look a few up and possibly add them to my TBR.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/holiday-books-that-dont-mention-the-holidays-in-their-title/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and giving these books attention!

      Delete
  13. I have to add some of these to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "You've Reached Sam" sounded so good! I read about it earlier this year when I was trying to find books for a "anticipated" reads post or something. The cover drew me in and then the synopsis did sound good - though I might not like it just because it sounds sad. :/ Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. It's been on my to read list for a long time but I'm not ready to cry my eyes out!!

      Delete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top