Heart of a Witch by Rebecca L. Garcia

Heart of a Witch by Rebecca L. Garcia
Published: December 14 2021 by Victory Editing 
Source: NetGalley
Format: eBook
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Summary:
A vengeful fantasy standalone romance perfect for fans of The Bridge Kingdom and A Touch of Darkness
I’d never particularly liked humans, but I’d never wanted to kill one. Until now.
Hidden in a kingdom that hates witches, I’m forced to hide what I am. With my sister working in a secret dark magic club, and our family’s shop gaining unwanted attention, things couldn’t be worse when the notorious witch hunter, Damian Shaw, comes to town.
When my sister shows up dead, and my family’s name is called into question, we’re forced to adopt new aliases and leave the home we cherished. As I watch my life fall apart, I vow to destroy the hunter responsible, but his punishment would not be swift. Death was too easy.
Redforest is a quaint town, with a church, pretty shops, and like any good town, a dark past. When me and my family move in, I set my sights on the Shaw family, quickly learning everything I can about them.
Damian’s son, Elijah, is the hunter's greatest pride. His heir. His confidante. The only family he trusts.
I came up with a plan. I was going to shatter every good thing in Damian’s life, ending with his son.
My goal: make Elijah Shaw fall in love with me, twist him into the very thing his father hates, then kill him.
But when secrets about his family surface and strange things begin happening, I realize the monster hiding in the shadows might be closer to home than I first thought.
With my heart challenged, the attraction growing, I find myself trapped in a deadly game. In a twist of fate, Elijah might just end up being the death of me.

Review:
Pacing 5/5
Characters 4/5
Writing 5/5
Romance 5/5
SPICE 4/5

After Victoria's sister dies at the hands of a famous witch hunter, she is driven to only one choice in the face of heartbreaking grieve: revenge. From the start, you connect with Victoria. She is critical and over analyzes everything. She grieves her past mistakes that cost her happiness and is now succumbed to the darkness that is slowly creeping into her actions as long as it keeps her family safe. She is fully aware of the sacrifices that must be made in order to keep everyone alive when they are in hiding. When faced with the death of her sister, she accepts that one thing must happen: Damian Shaw must die. 

I read this in ONE sitting. It is rare to find a good female villain arc where you can't help but empathize with the protagonist. And to add more spice to the mix, it was an ENEMIES TO LOVERS ARC TOO! But it wasn't that simple. The love story is gradual. While you knew Victoria's intentions the entire time, you can't help but question yourself at her actions. Is this truly still revenge? Is this love? Elijah's kindness is apparent from the beginning despite his "asshole" demeanor that he keeps up for his father. Slowly you watch as his empathy and patience cracks at Victoria's cold heart. Family is a big part of this story, both within Victoria's family and the Shaw family. Both families struggle to love each other in the face of adversary, often by those who you should normally trust.

One thing I did not like was that I wanted MORE. At times the story felt rushed in spaces where I wanted more dialogue and hashing out of emotions. There is a lot of suspenseful buildup, which was all worth it by the way, but once you reach the climax it was only a couple of pages and you kind of just had to accept what happened at the end and move on. I desperately was entranced by the story of Victoria's little sister, Alex, and wished we saw more of her.
 Overall, I genuinely enjoyed this book and can't wait to pick up other books by Rebecca L. Garcia. 

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to enjoy this ARC!

Warm regards,
Diana Banana







0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top