Alice in the City of Diamonds by B. A. Lovejoy Review

Alice in the City of Diamonds by B. A. Lovejoy

Published:  Jan 20, 2022
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Rating: 3.5 out of 5


Summary:
There is no way back from Wonderland—or so they claim.
Not when the only door leading to my world is broken, and the magic of Wonderland has been thrown out of order. The magic itself relies on the clock at the center of Wonderland; but with the clock broken, my home in a state of disarray, and the man responsible for it missing? There is no hope.
But there is someone who knows how to fix the clock; Fitz, the annoying, self-serving rabbit who got me into this whole mess. Too bad he’s more concerned with wooing his prospective bride and becoming the King of Cards.
He’s locked in a race to the altar; staring down the threat of his youngest brother’s blooming romance with the Red Queen, Fitz’s own unwilling bride, and his unresolved feelings for me. Meanwhile, I couldn’t care less what troubles Fitz faces; I swore he would never become King of Cards, and that I would get home no matter what the cost.
Even if it means interfering in the lives of the royal court to pressure the man who I hate more than anything in this world into working beside me, facing down the Jabberwock, and becoming entangled in a sordid love affair.
But it’s not just the Kings I have to worry about, or even the menacing jaws of the Jabberwock. There’s still someone lurking in the background, someone determined to keep me in Wonderland at any price.

Review:
  • Fitz (White Rabbit, King of Diamond) Okay so after the first book I was obviously not rooting for him but there were just these small moments where I was like oh, if you we didn't start off so badly I would actually want you with Alice and Alice realized that too. He genuinely cares about her? In a weird way. And it was heart-racing to read and get a glimpse of those small moments. I wish things started off better because I would love a spin-off story about them in an alternate universe where they work because he would WORSHIP her really!!?!
  • William (Mad Hatter, King of Clovers)  BRUH GET YOUR GIRL.
  • Claude (Cheshire Cat, King of Spades) The boy we all want but cannot have. They have a weird vibe this book. She walks past him and drags her fingers through his hair which is very intimate but they are strictly friends at the same time. I appreciate that Alice is able to have friends no matter how weird the undervibes are because I guess that's normal in Wonderland.
  • Kaeden (King of Hearts) MY HEART. KAEDEN FOR THE WIN. Again, with this special name it's hard not to expect something to happen. Kaeden just wants things to be normal again after what happened in the first book and it does have a little bit of insta-love vibes but in this book their romance is built up a lot more and there are some genuine moments between them that makes you understand why Kaeden is fascinated by her. Though I don't really understand why she likes him other than that he is the best choice out of everyone else TBH but their intimate moments make sense for me :) Mini slash of spice in there for y'all too hehe
Pacing. The first half of the book was a lot of running around. Alice is trying to fix her clock to get back to London but some drama happens that makes her pause and take up the role of Alice rather than focusing on herself. THE SECOND HALF OF THE BOOK THOUGH. I was CAUGHT. I could not put the book down during work and was desperately trying to figure out what happens next especially when the ball dropped about he Jabberwocky.

Ending. Unfortunately I thought the ending was a little flat for me? It wasn't as much of a cliffhanger as the first book, but I'm so hooked onto this story that I am looking forward to the next book. Which is coming out February 2022!!!

Warm regards,
Diana Banana

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top